Current:Home > MarketsAustralia man who allegedly zip tied young Indigenous children's hands charged with assault -TradeWisdom
Australia man who allegedly zip tied young Indigenous children's hands charged with assault
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:33:27
Police in Australia have charged a 45-year-old man with assault after a video clip went viral appearing to show him standing in front of young Indigenous children whom he'd restrained with zip ties.
Western Australia Police Acting Assistant Commissioner Rod Wilde said police received a call Tuesday afternoon from a resident in the town of Broome, who reported that children — later said to be aged six, seven and eight — were swimming without permission in an "unoccupied pool" at a neighboring property.
Ten minutes later, the police said they received a second call from the man, telling them he'd restrained the children for causing damage at the same location.
Officers who arrived at the home found the two younger children "physically restrained" with zip ties, and later found the eight-year-old boy who had fled the scene.
The police said the level of force used to restrain the children "was not proportionate in the circumstances."
The man, who has not been identified by the police, has been charged with aggravated assault.
The video that spread quickly online shows two of the children tied up and crying while onlookers shout at the man, who is white, to let them go.
"That was a very distressing piece of video that we all saw yesterday," Western Australia Premier Roger Cook said at a Wednesday news conference, according to the French news agency AFP. "I understand that raises very strong emotions in everyone but just please, everyone, let the police get on and do their job."
Cook said police would continue to "monitor the situation in terms of the community emotions up there and deploy resources appropriately."
The man was granted bail and was due to appear before the Broome Magistrates Court on March 25.
The three children are under the age of criminal responsibility in Australia, which is 10, so even if they had been trespassing, they could not have been charged with any crime.
The treatment of Indigenous children is sensitive in Australia. Thousands of young Indigenous Australians were taken from their families and placed in foster care with white families or white-run institutions under government policies that continued into the early 1970s.
In 2008, the Australian government issued a formal apology for the decades of degrading and abusive policies.
"We apologize for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians," then-Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said in Parliament at the time.
But incidents of abuse have continued to crop up, including video that prompted a formal investigation in 2016 showing Indigenous teens being tear-gassed, stripped naked and shackled to a chair at a state-run juvenile detention center.
- In:
- Indigenous
- Australia
- Racism
- Children
- Child Abuse
veryGood! (8252)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Pink is dazzling, undaunted and often upside down on her enthralling Summer Carnival tour
- Attorneys for 3 last-known survivors of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre appeal dismissed reparations case
- Georgia kids would need parental permission to join social media if Senate Republicans get their way
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Albert Alarr, 'Days of Our Lives' executive producer, ousted after misconduct allegations, reports say
- Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes named No. 1 in NFL's 'Top 100 Players of 2023' countdown
- AP PHOTOS: Women’s World Cup highlights
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes named No. 1 in NFL's 'Top 100 Players of 2023' countdown
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 'Heartstopper' bursts with young queer love, cartoon hearts and fireworks
- Usme leads Colombia to a 1-0 win over Jamaica and a spot in the Women’s World Cup quarterfinals
- Men often struggle with penis insecurity. But no one wants to talk about it.
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Lecturers in the UK refuse to mark exams in labor dispute, leaving thousands unable to graduate
- New national monument comes after more than a decade of advocacy by Native nations
- Bankruptcy becomes official for Yellow freight company; trucking firm going out of business
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Appeals court upholds Josh Duggar’s conviction for downloading child sex abuse images
Arrest warrants issued for Alabama riverfront brawl
William Friedkin, director of 'The Exorcist' and 'The French Connection,' dead at 87
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
4 great ways to celebrate National Sisters Day
White Sox's Tim Anderson, Guardians' Jose Ramirez and four others suspended over brawl
Russia strikes Ukraine blood transfusion center; multiple dead and injured reported