Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Five Mississippi deputies in alleged violent episode against 2 Black men fired or quit -TradeWisdom
Surpassing:Five Mississippi deputies in alleged violent episode against 2 Black men fired or quit
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 07:47:09
Jackson,Surpassing Miss. — All five Mississippi deputy sheriffs who responded to an incident in which two Black men accused the deputies of beating and sexually assaulting them before shooting one of them in the mouth have been fired or resigned, authorities announced Tuesday.
The announcement comes months after Michael Corey Jenkins and his friend Eddie Terrell Parker said deputies from the Rankin County Sheriff's Department burst into a home without a warrant. The men said deputies beat them, assaulted them with a sex toy and shocked them repeatedly with Tasers in a roughly 90-minute period during the Jan. 24 episode, Jenkins and Parker said.
Jenkins said one of the deputies shoved a gun in his mouth and then fired the weapon, leaving him with serious injuries to his face, tongue and jaw. The Justice Department opened a civil rights investigation into the Rankin County Sheriff's Department after the episode.
Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey announced Tuesday that deputies involved in the episode had been fired and some had already resigned. He wouldn't provide the names of the deputies who'd been terminated or say how many law enforcement officers were fired. Bailey wouldn't answer additional questions about the episode.
"Due to recent developments, including findings during our internal investigation, those deputies that were still employed by this department have all been terminated," Bailey said at a news conference. "We understand that the alleged actions of these deputies has eroded the public's trust in the department. Rest assured that we will work diligently to restore that trust."
Bailey's announcement also follows an Associated Press investigation that found several deputies who were involved with the episode were also linked to at least four violent encounters with Black men since 2019 that left two dead and another with lasting injuries. Deputies who had been accepted to the sheriff's office's Special Response Team - a tactical unit whose members receive advanced training - were involved in each of the four encounters.
Deputies said the raid was prompted by a report of drug activity at the home. Police and court records obtained by the AP revealed the identities of two deputies at the Jenkins raid: Hunter Elward and Christian Dedmon. It wasn't immediately clear whether any of the deputies had attorneys who could comment on their behalf.
In a phone interview Tuesday, Jason Dare, an attorney representing the Rankin County Sheriff's Department, said the department knows of five deputies who conducted the Jenkins raid. Jenkins and his attorney have said six deputies were at the home. All five identified by the department were either fired or resigned.
There is no body camera footage of the episode. Records obtained by the AP show that Tasers used by the deputies were turned on, turned off or used dozens of times during a roughly 65-minute period before Jenkins was shot.
Jenkins and Parker have also filed a federal civil rights lawsuit and are seeking $400 million in damages.
In a statement obtained by CBS News, Malik Shabazz, an attorney representing Jenkins and Parker, celebrated the "long overdue" firing of the officers and called for criminal indictments of deputies by the state attorney general and the Justice Department. He said such indictments would be "the next step in this tough fight for justice in this nasty ordeal."
"The firing of the Rankin County Mississippi Sheriff's deputies involved in the torture and shooting of Michael Jenkins and Eddie Parker is a significant action on the path to justice for one of the worst law enforcement tragedies in recent memory," Shabazz said. "Sheriff Bryan Bailey has finally acted after supporting much of the bloodshed that has occurred under his reign in Rankin County. The next credible and honorable step for Brian Bailey is to resign or to be ousted."
Another attorney for the two men, Trent Walker, said in the statement that he's "lived in Rankin County all my life. These firings are unprecedented. Finally, the window to justice may possibly be opening in Rankin County."
- In:
- Mississippi
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- U.S. arm of China mega-lender ICBC hit by ransomware attack
- Chrishell Stause and Marie-Lou Nurk's Feud Continues in Selling Sunset Season 7 Reunion Trailer
- Durham District Attorney Deberry’s entry shakes up Democratic primary race for attorney general
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Barbra Streisand says she's not a diva - she's a director
- New Moschino creative director dies of sudden illness just days after joining Milan-based brand
- Remains of infant found at Massachusetts recycling center for second time this year
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh suspended by Big Ten as part of sign-stealing investigation
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- The Excerpt podcast: Politicians' personal lives matter to voters. Should they?
- U.S. veterans use art to help female Afghan soldiers who fled their country process their pain
- USC quarterback Caleb Williams addresses crying video after loss to Washington
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- David and Victoria Beckham and how to (maybe) tell if your partner is in love with you
- 100 cruise passengers injured, some flung to the floor and holding on for dear life as ship hits fierce storm on way to U.K.
- DOC NYC documentary film festival returns, both in-person and streaming
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Matt Ulrich, former Super Bowl champ, dead at age 41
The 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV Wins MotorTrend's SUV of the Year
Anchorage adds to record homeless death total as major winter storm drops more than 2 feet of snow
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Judge rejects dismissal, rules Prince Harry’s lawsuit against Daily Mail can go to trial
4 wounded in shooting at Missouri shopping mall near Kansas City; 3 suspects in custody
Big Ten bans No. 2 Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh from final 3 games over alleged sign-stealing scheme